Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Systema PTW Users - Past and Present

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

View Poll Results: How popular is the Systema PTW?
I've never heard of a Systema PTW 2 8.33%
I currently use a Systema PTW 15 62.50%
I've used a PTW in the past and moved on 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 22nd, 2021, 06:07   #1
Cortex
Has a life outside Airsoft
 
Cortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Systema PTW Users - Past and Present

I've got a question for the community. Please answer the poll and a few questions below!

I'm trying to gauge how popular the Systema PTW platform is currently in Canada, and how the platform has aged.

If you're currently using a PTW:
  1. When did you first start using a PTW?
  2. Do you have any plans to switch to a different platform? Why?

If you used a PTW in the past and have moved on:
  1. What timeframe did you use a PTW?
  2. Why made you switch to a different platform?

If you never knew about the Systema PTW before reading this thread, please answer "I've never heard of a Systema PTW" in the poll. However, after researching them I would like to know:
  1. Would you consider purchasing a PTW?
  2. What appeals to you about the PTW platform?
__________________
Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2021, 10:37   #2
Ronald Chang
 
Ronald Chang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
I have my Systema Maxi with 3 round burst since 2006. All stock.
Served me well. No plan to change. Cannot afford the newer high end brands.
Ronald Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2021, 11:58   #3
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist
 
Drakker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montr?al south shore, Qc
It's missing an option for "I know what a PTW is and there's no way I'm ever going to waste my money on them."
__________________
Keep quiet. Sound travels faster than BBs.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 14:39   #4
Crash54
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
What's a good used PTW going for now?
Crash54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 17:20   #5
Swattiger
 
Swattiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
It's missing an option for "I know what a PTW is and there's no way I'm ever going to waste my money on them."
It is fair to say until you hold it in your hands and play a few games, then you're qualified to say "wasting your money".

Otherwise, the rule of "you get what you pay for" always applies.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 18:30   #6
Crash54
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swattiger View Post
It is fair to say until you hold it in your hands and play a few games, then you're qualified to say "wasting your money".

Otherwise, the rule of "you get what you pay for" always applies.
I've played with G&G Aries TM and Systema. Systema was still the best.
Crash54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 19:26   #7
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist
 
Drakker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montr?al south shore, Qc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swattiger View Post
It is fair to say until you hold it in your hands and play a few games, then you're qualified to say "wasting your money".

Otherwise, the rule of "you get what you pay for" always applies.
I respectfully disagree, while I've never owned any, I've used them, and 10+ years ago, yeah, they were the best, but getting them to be as accurate and reliable as today's AEGs is a lot of work. The only thing they really have going for them is that they stop firing when the mag is empty, but again, AEGs are slowly catching up, and now guns like the ASG Scorpion EVO have that feature for about a quarter off the price of a PTW, and magazines are 1/3rd the price of Systemas... Today we have GBB rifles, which are a lot more realistic, and still cheaper than PTWs. PTWs have lost all their advantages over time, and unless Systema pulls a new magical unicorn out of their hat, I don't see them being relevant in the future.
__________________
Keep quiet. Sound travels faster than BBs.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 20:56   #8
Ronald Chang
 
Ronald Chang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
I respectfully disagree, while I've never owned any, I've used them, and 10+ years ago, yeah, they were the best, but getting them to be as accurate and reliable as today's AEGs is a lot of work. The only thing they really have going for them is that they stop firing when the mag is empty, but again, AEGs are slowly catching up, and now guns like the ASG Scorpion EVO have that feature for about a quarter off the price of a PTW, and magazines are 1/3rd the price of Systemas... Today we have GBB rifles, which are a lot more realistic, and still cheaper than PTWs. PTWs have lost all their advantages over time, and unless Systema pulls a new magical unicorn out of their hat, I don't see them being relevant in the future.
Agreed that now is very different from the past. However, I must say the materials they use and all the fittings are still top notch as per today's standard.

They have just developed a gear box with motor inside. So no more motor inside pistol grips. No matter if this will really work, I respect their R&D effort and spirit much more than those copy cats.
Ronald Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 21:17   #9
Canadian Psycho
Personal Mule.....PM for rates!
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alberta
Send a message via MSN to Canadian Psycho
Been running dubs exclusively since 2008. Presently have 3 in various configurations. Zero plans or desire to switch, they work, every time without fail or maintenance. One of mine has several hundred thousand bb's through it with only a tac'd motor and a mechbox lubrication. Id love to see a normal AEG do that without fail. Only mod's my dubs have are tac'd motors and hopups, thats it.
I've never felt seriously outperformed by an AEG, and while modern tech is able to match it, its still not wildly beating it like some suggest. I will absolutely agree that AEGs have come a long way, and with some time and money can match a dub in trigger response, range, and accuracy for a cheaper price point, i will take my reliability every single day of the week and never think twice.

I would love to try the new infinity mechbox at some point, but presently dont feel the need to spend the money.
__________________
"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them"
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Canadian Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2021, 21:20   #10
Canadian Psycho
Personal Mule.....PM for rates!
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Alberta
Send a message via MSN to Canadian Psycho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakker View Post
I respectfully disagree, while I've never owned any, I've used them, and 10+ years ago, yeah, they were the best, but getting them to be as accurate and reliable as today's AEGs is a lot of work. The only thing they really have going for them is that they stop firing when the mag is empty, but again, AEGs are slowly catching up, and now guns like the ASG Scorpion EVO have that feature for about a quarter off the price of a PTW, and magazines are 1/3rd the price of Systemas... Today we have GBB rifles, which are a lot more realistic, and still cheaper than PTWs. PTWs have lost all their advantages over time, and unless Systema pulls a new magical unicorn out of their hat, I don't see them being relevant in the future.
Im curious where you are seeing current AEG's as significantly more reliable than dubs, once the motor issue is sorted they basically run decades. Even today most guys on the field i've talked with are all constantly modding, tweaking and maintaining their AEGs to keep reasonable performance.
__________________
"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them"
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Canadian Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 04:43   #11
militia
 
militia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortex View Post
I've got a question for the community. Please answer the poll and a few questions below!

I'm trying to gauge how popular the Systema PTW platform is currently in Canada, and how the platform has aged.

If you're currently using a PTW:
  1. When did you first start using a PTW?
  2. Do you have any plans to switch to a different platform? Why?

1- 2007
2- No plans to change (although i have other platforms my PTW's are primarily used)

Alot of ptw users in our group still.
__________________
Team P.I.M.P Vancouver BC.
Perfection.In.Military.Practice
Op-for Vancouver Resident Porn Star
"Her name wasnt silk but he face was da shocka" -3 6 Mafia
militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 16:07   #12
FULLMETAL
 
FULLMETAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Had a lot of different TW platforms, had 2 systemas, miss the sh out of them, been looking for a decently priced one, but no luck.
FULLMETAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2021, 15:33   #13
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch
 
Gato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North York, Ontario
If you're currently using a PTW:
When did you first start using a PTW?
Do you have any plans to switch to a different platform? Why?
__________________________________________________
I started using a PTW around 2013/2014, it's from the 07 generation. I have a few other guns, but the PTW is a Mk18 built out for myself specifically, and I have no plans to change that. I enjoy not having to re-adjust my hop every time I change BB weights, and rarely find a need to even adjust it when I swap the cylinders. I like that she locks up after the last shot, and requires the use of the bolt release after inserting a new mag, which I tend to slap out of habbit anyway. I also don't have to deal with a tempermental Gas system, which is nice.

She's also seen FAR less maintenance time and repairs than pretty much any other gun I've owned, and I've had many over the years. Generally, once you adjust and tune your PTW, you're not likely to have to do much to it for another decade, beyond regular maintenance like lube and grease periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swattiger View Post
It is fair to say until you hold it in your hands and play a few games, then you're qualified to say "wasting your money".

Otherwise, the rule of "you get what you pay for" always applies.
Pretty much what happened with me, yeah, they were always cool, but I never actually thought it'd be worth that price until my gun went down and a buddy threw me his second PTW to use for the weekend.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Like seriously dude. The incredible lack of common sense in the question could be scientifically investigated for evidence of a black hole.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified

Last edited by Gato; November 29th, 2021 at 15:37..
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2022, 13:40   #14
Cortex
Has a life outside Airsoft
 
Cortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Thanks for the replies everyone! Basically confirms what I was thinking.

Seems like those that were able to try them out in the past generally stick with them due to the reliability and durability. They're truly second-to-none in that aspect.

Would most of you that are experienced with PTW's agree that the knowledge on the platform has severely dropped in recent years? I remember when I was first getting into airsoft, some basic research into "which AEG M4 to buy" would almost always yield results with PTW's being mentioned as the "ultra high end/expensive" model. Most younger players haven't even heard of a PTW if they ask what me/my team are running.
__________________
Cortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2022, 16:36   #15
FULLMETAL
 
FULLMETAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortex View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! Basically confirms what I was thinking.

Seems like those that were able to try them out in the past generally stick with them due to the reliability and durability. They're truly second-to-none in that aspect.

Would most of you that are experienced with PTW's agree that the knowledge on the platform has severely dropped in recent years? I remember when I was first getting into airsoft, some basic research into "which AEG M4 to buy" would almost always yield results with PTW's being mentioned as the "ultra high end/expensive" model. Most younger players haven't even heard of a PTW if they ask what me/my team are running.
Yap, I think is not as looked for or known as before. Yet they releasing new stuff (After a bunch of years) like the new gearbox, https://airsoft-milsim-news.com/new-...r-systema-ptw/

I really want to try the new stuff, its a brand to fall in love with.
FULLMETAL is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.