Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Evike- how is the duty fee?

:

General

Old August 25th, 2016, 16:39   #1
NAAZ
One of those username tags...

Evike- how is the duty fee?

some items on sale have intrigued me. on the shipping option page it says that duty and taxes are not included in the shipping fee.

can anyone here shed some light on the cost? I read somewhere that it can be quite hefty. my order before shipping is $352 USD if that helps.

thanks
NAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 16:49   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

duty and taxes are levied at the border at time of import.

Duty fee in general sweeping term is 5%, though it varies depending on what is being imported and where it was manufactured. Items manufactured in the states and mexico might be exempt from the 5% (thank nafta)

You will be taxed with HST which is 13%

They take the declared value and convert it to canadian dollars and then tax it accordingly. Companies may or may not under declare value, most legit places don't because it would be considered mail fraud. Also the declared value is what you will be paid out should the package be damaged, lost or destroyed. Marking an item as gift is no guarantee it will not be taxed.

Depending on the carrier, there is a fee to broker the item through customs duty inspection. Basically someone looks up what is declared on the sheet and what the duty rate is, fills out paperwork and either sends it through or sends it for inspection.

things coming through the mail system I think is 5-8$ per package. fedex and DHL are around 12$ and ups is 35$. This is on top of everything.

Items coming through mail have a good chance of not being hit at all with fees. I believe I'm 0-15 on packages this year in terms of not being taxed. I even got a 700$ item shipped to me from japan by mail that was properly declared and was not taxed when it showed up.

A courier service will charge duties and fees 100% of the time.

Not all packages are opened and inspected either. This is how some people claim they got X prohibited item through without issue. If your package is not taped up with yellow tape that has inspected by CBSA/Canadian Border services agency) your package did not have live eyeballs inside the box and probably passed the xray without a second look.. or a first look.

Last edited by lurkingknight; August 25th, 2016 at 16:56..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 17:00   #3
NAAZ
One of those username tags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
duty and taxes are levied at the border at time of import.

Duty fee in general sweeping term is 5%, though it varies depending on what is being imported and where it was manufactured. Items manufactured in the states and mexico might be exempt from the 5% (thank nafta)

You will be taxed with HST which is 13%

They take the declared value and convert it to canadian dollars and then tax it accordingly. Companies may or may not under declare value, most legit places don't because it would be considered mail fraud. Also the declared value is what you will be paid out should the package be damaged, lost or destroyed. Marking an item as gift is no guarantee it will not be taxed.

Depending on the carrier, there is a fee to broker the item through customs duty inspection. Basically someone looks up what is declared on the sheet and what the duty rate is, fills out paperwork and either sends it through or sends it for inspection.

things coming through the mail system I think is 5-8$ per package. fedex and DHL are around 12$ and ups is 35$. This is on top of everything.

Items coming through mail have a good chance of not being hit at all with fees. I believe I'm 0-15 on packages this year in terms of not being taxed. I even got a 700$ item shipped to me from japan by mail that was properly declared and was not taxed when it showed up.

A courier service will charge duties and fees 100% of the time.

Not all packages are opened and inspected either. This is how some people claim they got X prohibited item through without issue. If your package is not taped up with yellow tape that has inspected by CBSA/Canadian Border services agency) your package did not have live eyeballs inside the box and probably passed the xray without a second look.. or a first look.
the main item that I have is a WE AK PMC. surely they'll take a closer look since it resembles a firearm?
NAAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 17:05   #4
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

yup. They will indeed take a closer look. They might even seize it, even if it shoots over the proper fps for importation. It's totally up to the guy doing the inspection.
Old August 25th, 2016, 17:25   #5
cetane

I've never had any issues with evike. Make sure to pick usps for shipping. It's a few $$ more than ups but the duty/brokerage much lower.

I've had success with ehobby at having them declare lower dollar value. Not tried it with evike, or really want to. They're last resort for ordering stuff
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 18:55   #6
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Most things I order are small and low value.

With USPS/CP I find when the total value of your package is sub $100 they are much more likely to send it through without tax or duty. It's the more expensive orders I almost always get nailed on. It makes sense... The amount of paper work for el chepo packages is hardly worth their time.

My understanding is pretty much everything can be taxed, most of the time they just choose not to for logistical reasons. Duty is extra tax that depends on the product and country of manufacture. Products manufactured in the US should not recieve duty as per NAFTA.

Edit: so as others have mentioned in regards to properly declaring a package: assuming evike properly declares it's shipments, the amount of duty/tax should be no different than any other retailer regardless of where the package is coming from.

*Busy signing for his packages*

Last edited by AnthonyG; August 25th, 2016 at 18:59..
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:20   #7
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
APS and fedex to an extent frigging blow for import fee's.
When at all possible, USPS!
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:16   #8
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
As long as it's Canada compliant it's fine:

Brought over a GHK 74U from Evike, and a 105 from Airsplat.

The Evike order took 2-3 weeks in customs, and was inspected; the 105 from Airsplat took few hours in customs and was released.

74U, I paid about $100 with the duty and taxes, granted the order was over 500 USD, saved about 1 mag worth after everything was settled ($70 CAD saved)

105 I paid around $60 in taxes/duty, ended up costing me 500 CAD landed, when the MSRP for those rifles here, are over 650+taxes+shipping.

It's cheaper to order from the states then Canada, even at our shitty currency rate.

Edit:

I tried before to reduce value with Evike, they said no.. KWAUSA however, will for parts

Anyways for 352 USD, i'd rekon you'd be around the $50-60 CAD mark aswell.

Last edited by BioRage; September 13th, 2016 at 08:28..
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 21:51   #9
ProDoyle

Prefer to shop locally

Even for the added cost I really prefer to buy locally. I bit and ordered some stuff from out of province because I couldn't get it locally and I really wanted that particular item.... but going forward I'm going to either buy used off of guys at swaps (or here once I get that AV thing sorted out...) or new from my local shop that is practically around the corner and I have known the owners for 20 years...

I have enjoyed ordering some kit from a place called Varusteleka.com. I'm not sure which Scandinavian country they are in but they ship fast and some of their surplus stuff is just so ridiculously cheap that even if I ended up paying double with customs I would still be saving 30%... 13$ flat shipping to Canada and I haven't been hit with duty in 3 orders.
ProDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 19:02   #10
BobbyDangerous

K so here,

I just ordered a Lancer Tactical AK. The beta project copy for $150 US plus shipping. Was like $260 canadian basically. I ordered it last Thursday and got it today. No issues with the border no Duties. Maybe I was lucky. Enclosed was a letter addressing customs. But to me it didn't even look like the box was even opened.

All from Evike

Lesson here,

Order before a long weekend!

Cheers

Happy Canada Day

BA Level 3 Certified
BobbyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 08:04   #11
Swattiger

While I agree it is sometimes better and cheaper to order from overseas. But to me, airsoft guns are not cheap, especially for the high quality ones.

So I prefer to go to a local retailers ( I am lucky to have a few nearby) to feel, try the guns I like before I buy. Once you become a loyal customer, you always get some sort of discounts or tax free from time to time, sometimes big discounts during some special occasions e.g. Black Friday. And the local retailers can get almost everything today.

So, except for something very very rare, I don't want to go through the trouble of "order and pray".
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 12:09   #12
BobbyDangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swattiger View Post
While I agree it is sometimes better and cheaper to order from overseas. But to me, airsoft guns are not cheap, especially for the high quality ones.

So I prefer to go to a local retailers ( I am lucky to have a few nearby) to feel, try the guns I like before I buy. Once you become a loyal customer, you always get some sort of discounts or tax free from time to time, sometimes big discounts during some special occasions e.g. Black Friday. And the local retailers can get almost everything today.

So, except for something very very rare, I don't want to go through the trouble of "order and pray".
I agree,

When I saw the price of the AK full metal it came to the same price as the polymer here in Canada. The only reason why.

BA Level 3 Certified
BobbyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 23:31   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

most US vendors will not lower declared value on retail items, it's considered mail fraud. Parts for warranty/repair is different and it can vary. But I've asked vendors before and several outright said no.

Declared value is also one of the means to determine an insurance claim if the package goes missing. Should they look at the declared value vs the claim value, they will look closer at the vendor, and this goes back to mail fraud.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General