Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

What is Cylinder grease

:

General

Old March 4th, 2008, 17:25   #1
specter_M4

Send a message via AIM to specter_M4 Send a message via MSN to specter_M4 Send a message via Skype™ to specter_M4
What is Cylinder grease

Hi,

I just bought some new internals and I forgot to order cylinder grease. What exacly is it? Or what could I buy to suffice?

Thanks

specter_M4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 17:28   #2
Syn

100% silicone paste is what I used. Applied it very thinly and stretched my o ring manually to make sure compression is good. Seems to be holding up fine after 2 months.

Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 17:28   #3
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

There are a couple companies out there that cylinder grease. Systema, guarder, G&P. Although I heard you can hit up Canadian tire and pick up a tube of Lith-Ease, its a white lithium grease. Comes in a white tube wuth red and black on the container with black cap. I hear it works alright. Im not to knowledgable on the stuff, so hopefully someone can speak up about it.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 17:33   #4
specter_M4

Send a message via AIM to specter_M4 Send a message via MSN to specter_M4 Send a message via Skype™ to specter_M4
I use white lithium on the gears. It would be handy if I could also use this in the cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
100% silicone paste is what I used. Applied it very thinly and stretched my o ring manually to make sure compression is good. Seems to be holding up fine after 2 months.
This makes sense as the systema and other airsoft brands are a yellowish semi transperant colour paste.

Thanks

Old March 4th, 2008, 17:35   #5
Amos

White lithium should work if applied VERY lightly... too much grease and you plug up the holes in the piston head which expand and contract the O ring... and that'll cause a few problems.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 17:36   #6
specter_M4

Hmm.

Thus meaning it will need to be reapplied every so often.

Old March 4th, 2008, 17:38   #7
Syn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
White lithium should work if applied VERY lightly... too much grease and you plug up the holes in the piston head which expand and contract the O ring... and that'll cause a few problems.
ALso if you use too much, your inner barrel , bbs, and hop up will also be lubed. Not a good thing.

Old March 4th, 2008, 18:10   #8
RedSpinal

---Applied it very thinly and stretched my o ring manually to make sure compression is good---

i was just lauging at the job here lol...imagine that sentence anywhere else except on a airsoft related forums lolol

sorry had to say it haha

Last edited by RedSpinal; March 4th, 2008 at 19:10..
RedSpinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 19:09   #9
Syn

whoops... embarrassed now.

btw reading around this and other airsoft forums of people using silicone oil. hmm I wonder if anyone else is using silicone oil for cylinder. Certainly less friction than paste but I thought it would be too thin and move off the cylinder inner surface quickly over time leaning to poor compression, heat friction of o ring.

Old March 4th, 2008, 20:44   #10
SidVicious

Send a message via MSN to SidVicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpinal View Post
---Applied it very thinly and stretched my o ring manually to make sure compression is good---

i was just lauging at the job here lol...imagine that sentence anywhere else except on a airsoft related forums lolol

sorry had to say it haha
The "goatse" shock pic popped to mind halfway through reading Syn's dubious line.

Sig worthy to say the least...
SidVicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 22:50   #11
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Most airsoft-specific cylinder greases made by high end aftermarket companies (think Systema, Phoenix and Prometheus) are white, super slippery and are lighter in weight than Tokyo Marui, G&P, Classic Army or any of the other OEM greases. Airsoft-specific cylinder greases are finer and greasier than lithium grease (I've found.)

The best set of airsoft grease I've seen and used so far is the Prometheus one. It's based off one main grease and comes with a thinner as well as a thickener which allows you to adjust the viscosity level of the grease for the particular application you're using it for:

Prometheus PRO GRESS Gear Grease with Additives Set
- Gear Grease with 2 Types of Additives.
- User can create different mixtures for wider usage with different mixing ratios.
- 4-Compartment Container Included for keeping Mixtures.

Gear Grease
- Wide Working Temperature Range.
- Highly Lubricative and Long Lasting.
- Corrosion Resistant.
- Suitable for Heavy Duty Parts ( Gears / Gear Shafts / Reverse Latch / etc )

Oil Additive
- Mix with Gear Grease for lowering viscosity.
- Mixture suitable for High Speed Moving Parts ( Piston Rail / Pistol Slide Rail / Metal Bushings )
- Usage: Mix Oil ( Approx. 3-5% Volume ) with Gear Grease, Greater amount of oil forms lower viscosity mixture.
- NOTE: High amount of oil may cause mixture last shorter.

Powder Additive
- Flatten tiny hole on metal surface for lowering friction
- Mixture with Gear Grease suitable for High Speed, High Wearing Moving Parts ( Tappet Plate / Polished Gearbox Inner Surface )
- Usage:
Mix Powder ( Approx. 3-5% Volume ) with Gear Grease for Normal Use
Mix Powder ( Approx. 6-10% Volume ) with Gear Grease for Gear Run-In, wipe mixture with Gear Grease when Finished ( Minor remain is tolerable )

Another good alternative I've used is Tamiya Ceramic Grease.

Last edited by ILLusion; March 4th, 2008 at 22:56..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General