Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Danger?

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 1st, 2011, 20:08   #1
tomtom

Danger?

hi
i have never played air soft before and i wanted to give it a try since i love paintball. i haven't told my parents yet about my idea of purchasing a pistol. i don't really have a problem with the pain but is it safe? i would be wearing eye protection. Is there any other protection i would need. The gun im talking about is a pistol that only shoots up to 190 fps.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/SoftAir/SoftAirguns/PRD~0755207P/Sig%252BSauer%252BP228%252BAirsoft%252BPistol.jsp? locale=en
tomtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 20:09   #2
Strelok

How old are you?
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 20:24   #3
SniperSam

Send a message via AIM to SniperSam Send a message via MSN to SniperSam Send a message via Skype™ to SniperSam
Maybe you could tell us where you're from and how old you are to start off...

Other that, you'll want mouth/face protection, gloves, boots, usually long sleeve shirts, or pants

Whoa guy with the thumb rings, save some pussy for the rest of us

Welcome to Bed Bath and Beyoncé, if you find anything you like, put a ring on it.

What idiot called them Black Bears instead of African Abearicans
SniperSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 20:28   #4
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
hi
i have never played air soft before and i wanted to give it a try since i love paintball. i haven't told my parents yet about my idea of purchasing a pistol. i don't really have a problem with the pain but is it safe? i would be wearing eye protection. Is there any other protection i would need. The gun im talking about is a pistol that only shoots up to 190 fps.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Like anything that shoots a projectile there is an inherant danger involved. Just like paintball even when shooting at a range always ware propper ballistic protection, not work glasses, not sun glasses, not blinking really fast.

If you are not an adult I and the rest of this community suggest waiting until you are. Airsoft guns are very realistic and as a result get alot of attention when used outside of designated airsoft terrains. That particular gun in not that great and to be honest not really worth the cost. May I ask if its to "target shoot" in your backyard?

Regardless of the advice you receive in this thread you will probably ignore it like most people do if they don't hear what they want. Above all please be safe and use all airsoft, airguns and paintball markers in a safe and responsibel manner.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 20:40   #5
tomtom

I am 13 years old and live in Ontario Canada. EH
Old July 1st, 2011, 21:12   #6
xylum

If your 13 then no one is going to help you with purchasing an airsoft gun. Also, if your parents don't buy the pistol for you then your not going to be able to walk into a Canadian Tire and purchase it (if you didn't already know). Also, having that for backyard target shooting would be o.k but you will not perform well if you try and play with it against anyone else (never do so in public places).

In terms of danger, there is a certain amount of danger involved with almost any sport, as long as you take precautions you can significantly minimize the risk. I would suggest at your age (if you find a field to play at) choose to wear full face protection covering the mouth and ear. Make sure you are also wearing ASTM approved goggles. Protective clothing is also recommended.
xylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 21:59   #7
J-Man19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylum View Post
Also, having that for backyard target shooting would be o.k
incorrect good sir.

Don't shoot any kind of gun in your back yard.
As already stated you'll need to wait until you are 18 to purchase any airsoft guns. Stick to paintball until then.
J-Man19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:21   #8
tomtom

OK

I have already talked to my parents about the whole thing and as long as i will be following the proper safety precautions. I will be wearing my paintball mask (full face). My father will be with me when i purchase the air soft gun as the rule is the SAME for paintball Canadian tire will not sell paintball guns or air soft guns to anyone under 18. The back yard im talking about is Rural so there will be no chance of hitting a neighbor or anything since the houses are so far apart.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:16   #9
L473ncy

How rural are we talking about? ie. Farmland that's technically "inside" city limits or do you mean in the sticks like it's an hour drive to reach city limits?

If the former DO NOT shoot in the backyard. It's illegal and you can be fined by a bylaw enforcement officer (I know someone who almost got fined like $500 for discharging their BB gun in their backyard but got let off with a warning cause he was nice to the enforcement officer about it). If the latter just be careful, as what you're doing isn't illegal but could cause some concern from the neighbours. That is unless it's common place for teens/farmhands to go varmint hunting, in which case also do not shoot at pests with airsoft (apparently it's illegal since you're only crippling them and letting them die in agony and not killing them outright and animal rights activists QQ about pests deserving a quick death).
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:23   #10
Ozone06

The proper safety precaution is to WAIT until you're 18.
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:43   #11
DEATH2000

In my personal opinion NO 13 year old child has the maturity to handle a FIREARM of ANY kind. Doesn't matter if it came from the Dollar Store, Canadian Tire, or an Airsoft Retailers. 13 year olds are KIDS and kids shouldn't have guns.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 14:51   #12
xylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man19 View Post
incorrect good sir.

Don't shoot any kind of gun in your back yard.
As already stated you'll need to wait until you are 18 to purchase any airsoft guns. Stick to paintball until then.
Sorry I wasn't thinking straight. I'm up north at my cottage at the moment where there aren't any real firearm bylaws and we have acres of property so using an airsoft gun around here would be O.K. It just depends on the laws wherever you live.
xylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 15:31   #13
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
190 fps on .12 g bb's is the same as 147 fps on a .20 bb

You could not practically use that gun in a skirmish whatsoever. Might want to save your money and buy a good nerf gun instead. You'd get better range and it'd be even more fun than using that crappy gun.

Considering you won't be able to play real airsoft until you're 18 (16 in some places), wasting your money on a hunk of crap is pointless. Get a nerf gun, play the same game with different ammo. If you are in a really rual area and hate the colour of nerf guns, then paint it like a gears of war gun and be a complete badass.

Hope that helps.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 16:04   #14
Mack:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
In my personal opinion NO 13 year old child has the maturity to handle a FIREARM of ANY kind. Doesn't matter if it came from the Dollar Store, Canadian Tire, or an Airsoft Retailers. 13 year olds are KIDS and kids shouldn't have guns.
airsoft, pellet guns, paintball guns are not firearms.. especially that clear one from crappytire. for the most part id agree, but some 13yr old kids are very mature.

best just to wait until your 18, buy a decent aeg/gbb, and experience Airsoft for what it really is. Its kind of like using a sling shot to fire paintballs, and then calling it a paintball gun.. just isnt the same.
Mack:P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 16:11   #15
SuperCriollo

Get into paintball instead, is pretty much the same thing.

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank