Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Krylon Camo

:

General

Old November 14th, 2007, 12:14   #31
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

The first time I did my glock, I noticed that it glooped very badly and I had to go with a quicker sweeping spray and do 2 coats. The second time around with this paintjob I just did, I found primer really did the trick for me on this one. A little bit of fibre mold in the erosion and then some sanding would fix it up a little and then sanding off old paintjob laying down a coat of primer before redoing it and you probly wouldnt even notice. I noticed a little bit of erosion on the thread of that item as well, is that gooped up paint or is that melted plastic?

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:37   #32
Kos-Mos

It can be because your friend sprayed from too close. The propellant used in spray paint is very corrosive to some plastics.

That is why I always airbrush my guns... only air and paint... Plus, I use Tamiya flat model color set. They have all kind of colors to it.

Finish with a clear coat of Krylon flat clear. (Yes they do it, it really flat out any surface)
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:59   #33
McKee
Merica'

Send a message via MSN to McKee
As far as the krylon eating the paint, not sure why it would do that but I used the same stuff and it seems alright. However after looking, the newer paint appears to have "plastic fusion" so im assuming it's more plastic safe. I wish i'd known about the new stuff before I did it but oh well. I wonder if there is some kind of like bondo for plastic you could use to fill it in and paint over.

Commanding in Airsoft
McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 13:00   #34
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
I think you got a can of pressurized sulfuric acid there nate

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 13:25   #35
Jimski

insect repellent like OFF stuff makes krylon paint melt like ice-cream
Old November 14th, 2007, 13:35   #36
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

I have heard that as well. I have not run into any issues yet though.

"Its only a little bit on fire"
TokyoSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 13:42   #37
attack-beaver

nor have i on my gun either.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 14:16   #38
Crunchmeister

I may have to swing by Crappy Tire on the way home from work and pick up a couple of these sets of paint if they truly are discontinuing them. I want to paint the furniture on my springer M4 (that's used as a decorative piece for my recording studio wall) as well as paint the front grilles on my guitar and bass amplifiers in camo.
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 19:04   #39
Crunchmeister

Well, I came home tonight with one can in each color. You guys are gonna have me spending money left right and centre with these discoveries of yours.

And even moreso once I get age-verified and can get into the classified areas. It will end up with me in bankruptcy...
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 18:08   #40
jamesb

matte krylon primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanKam View Post
I used that paint on my M4-S, and damn proud of the results. However, for those who intend to paint over the hand grip, use a Workable Fixatif over your paint job afterward. It does leave a shine, but it will protect your paint from rub off ( do protect the rest of your gun from it though ;P )

The krylon on my 416 is showing no ware at all- except where I painted over my DE magpul pistol grip, where it is rubbing off. I notice that when i painted the grip, I probably didnt let it dry long enough in between coats and put it on too thick, resulting in several spots on the grip that felt tacky even after the full 7 days, and which could be easily scratched off by a fingernail. If I had done a perfect job with the krylon camo, would it have scratched off, or stayed on permanently?- and even if I had followed protocol, would I stil need to coat it with a primer to secure the krylon base? (you mentioned Workable Fixatif , but that's for art? - do the matte krylon primers hold up?
jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 18:14   #41
scurvythepirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
The krylon on my 416 is showing no ware at all- except where I painted over my DE magpul pistol grip, where it is rubbing off. I notice that when i painted the grip, I probably didnt let it dry long enough in between coats and put it on too thick, resulting in several spots on the grip that felt tacky even after the full 7 days, and which could be easily scratched off by a fingernail. If I had done a perfect job with the krylon camo, would it have scratched off, or stayed on permanently?- and even if I had followed protocol, would I stil need to coat it with a primer to secure the krylon base? (you mentioned Workable Fixatif , but that's for art? - do the matte krylon primers hold up?
Dude its been more than 2 years, no need to bring up an old thread from the dead. Jeez.
Old April 17th, 2010, 19:00   #42
jamesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvythepirate View Post
Dude its been more than 2 years, no need to bring up an old thread from the dead. Jeez.
yes, i understand that
, but is my question not still valid? the topic may be old , but the paint problem is still occuring
jamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General