Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SR-16, Can't Figure Out Whats Wrong

:

AEG Solutions

Old October 14th, 2005, 15:55   #1
Balzerk07

Send a message via MSN to Balzerk07
Exclamation SR-16, Can't Figure Out Whats Wrong

I recently purchased an upgraded SR-16 off a buddy of mine. When I first got the gun it worked fine, it was a little sluggish but I assume thats because of the heavy spring. I took it out to Flag Raiders October 9th. It was working fine for a couple of shots but it was whining a bit. I was told when this happens to adjust the small screw in the bottom of the SR-16 grip. I did that and I was starting to notice a differnece in the sound. Then I pulled the trigger and nothing... No click, no motor trying to turn over or anything. I checked all the connections, everything is fine. Note; I have no fuse, so it cant be blown, I know not having a fuse is stupid but I didnt realize it didn't have one the fuse until now.

At the game Poncho had a look at it, he pulled out the motor and pulled the trigger to see if there was any life in it. Nothing. He suggested that it was either the motor or possibly an internal fuse in the gearbox of some sort? He also mentioned something about the trigger switch being melted together and that may be causing the problem.

That night after the game I took a motor out of my M4 and tried it in the SR-16, once again nothing. So then I figured I would just strip down the gun completely to see if anything looked wrong internally. Inside the mechbox everything looks fine to me. But seeing as how I only have limited knowledge with mechboxs I may have over looked something. So here I'am now posting this hoping that someone has some idea on how to fix it, or what I should do or try next.

Pictures of the mechbox are available at this URL
http://photobucket.com/albums/b345/MadcapZX2/
Old October 14th, 2005, 17:41   #2
Primus
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Primus
Have you checked the wiring leading from the full stock to the mechbox to see if anything funky is going on there? If the fuse isn't there anymore that means someone had to solder, twist together, etc the wires so maybe something is wrong there.

Apart from all that shit on the spring and spring guide I can't see anything really wrong with the mechbox guts...

Gray Fox Strategic - @grayfoxstrategic on Facebook / Instagram
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 17:45   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Could just be your contacts are dirty. I had the same problem with an M733, had intermittant voltage/continuity in semi mode, but nothing in full auto. After a few attempts at fixing the problem without opening the mechbox, I said fuck it and ripped the mechbox open and got access to all the contact points. A few Q-tips loaded with lighter fluid later, I put it all back together and had it firing 100% in both modes.

Contacts need cleaning once in awhile, if corrosion or grease happen to build up on the contacts, the gun will stop doing anything when you pull the trigger, making it seem like a broken fuse or a dead battery.

BTW, Greylocks taught me this a couple years ago, figured I'd mention this because he's not just a "crusty, old, flaming chairsofter who doesn't play anymore", he's got a fair bit of knowledge on inner workings of mechboxes. Not that he let's on anymore.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 17:58   #4
Balzerk07

The wiring I have also checked and I have seen no damage or wear. The piece of wiring where the fuse used to be has been replaced with a whole new piece with new connectors so there are no wires which are twisted together.

I will look at the contacts right now and give them a good cleaning. Thank you both for your input and I will post again if this does the trick.
Old October 14th, 2005, 20:35   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Good luck!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 23:31   #6
denli21

i had this problem with my TM M4A1, it turned out to be one of the connectors for the motor that came loose...just used some needle nose pliars to crimp the clip and got it it working 100%...

.:TM M4A1 / TM M92F:.

My old Buy and Sell Rating
denli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 00:17   #7
Balzerk07

Cleaned the connectors and the gun is working fine once again. Thanks everyone for your help :mrgreen:
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:34   #8
Greylocks

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=14503
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 10:55   #9
stev0__

i am having the same issue as well and was just wondering what the exact locations of all the connectors were?
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:38   #10
FNG

You have what can only be described as 'a shitload' of grease in there. Possibly when your firing some of it is making its way to the trigger connections. You could try cleaning it up then regreasing a little less. Good luck.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:49   #11
Valcrow

Send a message via MSN to Valcrow
Take out the little plate thing under the pistol grip and check the wires that connect to the motor in the grip. And when you put it back make sure the screws are tight or it'll make a horrible grinding noise and wear out your motor gears.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:23   #12
Droc
yup
my gun has perma scream
sometimes its unavoidable. super-torque gears with such a high spring can cause it to scream like a prom queen. a new handgrip can help, it allows for more precise motor placment then the shitty TM one.
Old July 21st, 2008, 22:30   #13
ThatIsWhat

I realize this thread is old but ive got the same problem. My motor won't even turn when i remove the mechbox and ive cleaned all the contacts and charged the battery. How can I tell if the motor's burnt out?
ThatIsWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 22:36   #14
kalnaren

Plug the motor right into the battery?

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 22:37   #15
The Saint

Does your motor turn when you remove it from the mechbox but leave the wires attached? That would at least tell you whether your motor's completely dead or not, though keep in mind that a broken motor can still spin under no load.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner > AEG Solutions