Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft in the News

:

General

Old January 17th, 2008, 20:35   #16
The Saint

Well, my concern would be an article like that in a school in Toronto. I'd be a lot more positive about this if it were somewhere with less sensationalism around gun violence.
Old January 17th, 2008, 20:36   #17
the_ninja

woot
the_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 22:01   #18
ak_STALKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Well, my concern would be an article like that in a school in Toronto. I'd be a lot more positive about this if it were somewhere with less sensationalism around gun violence.
+1
ak_STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:15   #19
Zeonprime

Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
CC still has a paper? ahh memories...

Saint, don't worry bout people reading the paper..I used to work on that thing.. no one ever read it!

Brian brings up many a point. (Hey I'm guilty of calling the players.."Airsofters" then again it's usually at PB fields when I do it... the rest of the time it's "assholes" and "fuckers" LOL)

Jaa

Person 1
Poncho
great granddaddy to the sport in Canada.

Person 2(A/B)
Mad Morbius/Scarecrow
These two asswipes are responsible for the Wolfpack's formation, one of the oldest(snort) teams on the block.

Person 3
Sha Do
Sniper Extradinarie and teller of stories...

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:04   #20
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa View Post
guys, this is your chance to speak up and put airsoft in a more positive light
Been there done that.. no effect.. other than a crapstorm of epic proportions..

There is no way to put "airsoft" ( again what do you mean there.. the guns or the game?) in a positive light to the 99% of people who do not, can not, and will not understand why anyone would want to derive entertainment out of pretending to shoot people.

The best that anyone can hope for is that any media attention will result in more of the 1% that could get engaged in this activity find out about it's existance and come out.

I believe after my experiences with the press... and a couple of bloody noses from more senior members of this community who eventually managed to smack some sense into me.. that media attention does not serve the greater good of our chosen passtime.

It is a fruitless endeavor to attempt to sway public opinion into our camp.. face it, people like us.. who get enjoyment out of activities like this are not "normal" in the perception of the public at large it is disturbing.. and unsettling to the so called "soccer moms" ( who outnumber us about a million to one by the way) that we exist.. and they would rather be ignorant of our existance and remain blissfully embraced by their perception that violence does not exist in their world.

The least we can do is keep them blissfully unaware of our existance.. because.. they outnumber us A MILLION TO ONE

The best thing for our community is to keep it seperate and unknown to the wider public perception.. and keep gathering the "1 percenters" that get it to us by word of mouth.. and by sites like this one.

I'm not afraid of the media... and I'll talk to them and answer questions when asked.. but a PR campaign to "promote airsoft" is pointless and not to our advantage.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 12:11   #21
Zeonprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post

There is no way to put "airsoft" ( again what do you mean there.. the guns or the game?) in a positive light to the 99% of people who do not, can not, and will not understand why anyone would want to derive entertainment out of pretending to shoot people.

The best that anyone can hope for is that any media attention will result in more of the 1% that could get engaged in this activity find out about it's existance and come out.

I believe after my experiences with the press... and a couple of bloody noses from more senior members of this community who eventually managed to smack some sense into me.. that media attention does not serve the greater good of our chosen passtime.

It is a fruitless endeavor to attempt to sway public opinion into our camp.. face it, people like us.. who get enjoyment out of activities like this are not "normal" in the perception of the public at large it is disturbing.. and unsettling to the so called "soccer moms" ( who outnumber us about a million to one by the way) that we exist.. and they would rather be ignorant of our existance and remain blissfully embraced by their perception that violence does not exist in their world.

The least we can do is keep them blissfully unaware of our existance.. because.. they outnumber us A MILLION TO ONE

The best thing for our community is to keep it seperate and unknown to the wider public perception.. and keep gathering the "1 percenters" that get it to us by word of mouth.. and by sites like this one.

I'm not afraid of the media... and I'll talk to them and answer questions when asked.. but a PR campaign to "promote airsoft" is pointless and not to our advantage.

lol, million to one.. well said

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Old January 18th, 2008, 13:08   #22
MadMorbius
Zeon you asshat...lol

I think before I'd offer up any interview material, I'd want to be provided with the questions up front. I would then clear the responses through the community. Just the way I roll.
Old January 18th, 2008, 13:15   #23
JTF27

Send a message via MSN to JTF27
Quote:

+1

I agree no new= Good news
JTF27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 13:34   #24
Ducky

Send a message via MSN to Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Ducky
Quote:

What do you call this then: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...peg+free+press

Your attitude is pretty negative, sometimes things can work out. I understand the overall perception that you are talking about, but the underground attitude wont cut it forever.

Last edited by Ducky; January 18th, 2008 at 13:39..
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 13:45   #25
Zeonprime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
Zeon you asshat...lol

I think before I'd offer up any interview material, I'd want to be provided with the questions up front. I would then clear the responses through the community. Just the way I roll.
Who moi? hehe

I'd also be interested to know the Editor's leanings on the matter... They have a great deal of control over what is reworked on the story after the fact. Also the paper is not under full control by the students running it (or it least it wasnt when I worked on that paper). I also appreciate Morb's response on clearing with the community the responses he would have to the questions. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
What do you call this then: http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...peg+free+press

Your attitude is pretty negative, sometimes things can work out. I understand the overall perception that you are talking about, but the underground attitude wont cut it forever.
Ducky, you have to understand the attitudes towards the sport/hobby/game/community will be different from region to region. Centennial College is based primarly in Scarborough (part of Toronto). The attitudes expressed in Ontario and more specifically in the urban areas of southern ontario are greatly different than what you would come across in Manitoba. Brian has also been subject to direct dealings with the media and the community backlash from such dealings and is speaking from experience (Pretty sure he stated such on page one of this thread). The general consenous of the community on ASC has been to keep us underground. In Ontario we have even been told to stay out of sight by some officials (Sha Do has more direct info on that matter). When you have violent gun crime on a weekly basis people tend to view guns, toy or otherwise in the same category, and those weilding them in any manner as undesirable.

Quote:

Last edited by Zeonprime; January 18th, 2008 at 13:51..
Old January 18th, 2008, 14:02   #26
Ducky

If you say so, I tend to disagree with the underground tactic. All it takes is someone who has the know how and resources to properly represent this hobby.

As far as the regional difference, I am not sure if you have spent any time in MB; but I assure you that we are not some small hick country town where everyone carries a gun around. There are plenty of violent crimes, some gun related that occur here; and there are a lot more anti gun sentiments than pro.

I just wanted to show that it is not always negative, this can work in our favour. I just don't see the reason to be entirely defeatist.
Old January 18th, 2008, 14:04   #27
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post

Your attitude is pretty negative, sometimes things can work out.
I'm thinking you don't know what you are talking about... I doubt there are many that has had more press relating to this activity done than me.

Made it on GLOBAL NATIONAL TV last year... that was broadcast Canada wide.. along with a piece in TORO magazine ( now defunct I think ) that had national distribution as well.

The opinion above is based on personal experiance from the outcome of dalliances with the press... It does not work.. it is a waste of time and won't achieve any useful effect.. Exactly as I was told by people more experienced than I.

Sure.. you can get a positive piece.. positive in the opinion of us.. but in the opinion of the MILLIONS of other people who see it.. and never knew we existed until they saw that piece.. we are nothing but a disturbing group of gun lovers... that they now know exist.

Because someone sees that the activity is "honour based" or "good exercise" and composed of "good people having good clean fun" will not counter the fact that we derive our fun from simulating one of the most horrifying aspects of life in the 21 century... Modern battle, to many people.. it is simply sick and devient behavior that should be stopped.

The people that see such items and say "gee that looks like fun" are far outnumbered by the people who think there is something very wrong with what we do.

Both those groups are (thankfully) far outnumbered by the majority that could care less either way.

The fact that that is "negative" does not make it any less true
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite

Last edited by Brian McIlmoyle; January 18th, 2008 at 14:07..
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 14:16   #28
Ducky

I know exactly what you are talking about, I simply put forth an instance where there was a positive case. I wasn't saying you do not have experience, but rather the overall tone is very negative, and defeatist.

This here in MB seem to be working pretty well by comparison. So I do not share the same attitude, I help as treasurer of MAA as well provide a field. Our president of the MAA handles any publicity we may get, and so far it has been pretty good; so in general I do not share your belief. Sure this is on a more regional lever, but I can't imagine why it couldn't happen in Ont or even on a national level although I am sure a lot more effort would be needed.

*Edit* Brian McIlmoyle, don't take my comments personally. I am not saying that your efforts were wasted; from the sounds of it you have spent a lot of time and energy on this. I am simply giving a prospective that I see from an MAA standpoint.

Last edited by Ducky; January 18th, 2008 at 14:18..
Old January 18th, 2008, 14:37   #29
Shrike
ASC Philosopher

Ducky the GTA is notoriously "anti gun" due to the level of gun crime in the big smoke. I PM'd Jaa asking him to ask Morb, scarcrow, LD (forgot Poncho) how they would feel about this article. You all posted in here anyway.

I think from my perspective, out of 10 people who would see an artice,you might find 1 or 2 thats like "ya thats cool" to airsoft. The other 8-9 will be like the anti gun we are krazy killer weird peoples.

For the sake of advertising to the 1-2 I don't want another 8-9 soccer moms calling their MP's about johnny and his bb gun.

I apreaciate the idealism of "mainstreaming" airsoft (I am the king of idealism) unfortunatly as I age I see that that is false, some things cannot be "ideal" in life. Swaying our sport into mainstream life will not work. Guns are not socially accepted in our country (moreso in the big population centres i'd think)

Jaa I PM'd you with some suggestions and asked that you don't do it.

I hope you don't risk the happiness I get shooting the shit outa Memel, Zeon or a bunch of other turds I like to kill.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 14:49   #30
Maverick0

I don't think Ducky was talking about 'mainstreaming' airsoft... I think his point is more about casting airsoft in a positive light rather than not even trying.

IMO, This whole 'staying under the radar' thing is BS. I'd rather go out and tell people what airsoft is really all about, rather than having them find out through some sensationalist news article about some kids messing around with airsoft guns and getting the cops called down on them.
Maverick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General