Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

First gun: looking for "all-purpouse" AEG

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:13   #1
Ultimus

First gun: looking for "all-purpouse" AEG

Well I'm officially interested in AS now. Time to get serious and get a gun. :-D

The topic title, while vague, faithfully sums up what I'm looking for. I need something that's moderately light and compact but powerful/accurate enough to be usable for outdoor use at stock config (don't want to go into upgrading until I'm more experienced).

Budget (not including gear, which I've already secured from a very generous friend), is about $600-$650 max. For this I'm hoping for a gun, charger, a few lowcaps, the usual. Obviously I'm not looking for field domination because I know I won't get it. Full rifles are too big for my tastes, and pistols, as I understand, are fairly useless as primaries (and I'd rather not deal with the costs of gas for GBB's). So basically that narrows down my choices to an SMG or light rifle.

Basically I have 4 TM's in mind right now: MP5J, P90, MP7, and G36C.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the P90's magazines or look, but according to some reviews, it's right up my alley. MP5 seems just kind of "meh" to me - just too much of a pistol, not enough of a rifle, but as I hear it's tried and true. MP7, while gorgeous, is lacking in power, and G36C is a bit on the big side.

As it stands right now, I'm leaning towards the G36 simply because of the power and better battery/life when compared to the MP7, but with an extra charger to get, it's also a bit more expensive. And once again, more limited mobility due to size/weight.

Any other recommendations that you guys think I should consider, or any points to bring up that would sway me towards the most appropriate gun?

Regards,
Ultimus
Ultimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:17   #2
SHaKaL

Send a message via MSN to SHaKaL
You cant go wrong with the TM (or CA) g36c. Good cqb and outdoor rifle! The only con i found is the size of the mags... not very practical but you can get used to it. I myself have a CA36k stock and like it alot!
SHaKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:30   #3
Greylocks

All you need to do is to get age-verified. The Marui G36, if you like the style, is a well built gun.
The only thing I dont like about it is the smaller battery option unless you go for aftermarket parts.
If you dont mind the looks of the AK47, it's about as bulletproof as you can get.
There is a thread in the Airsoft Guns section about what is the best AEG. You may want to read it.

As for the costs, you are at the very low end of what you need; $600 barely gets the gun. You'll need a really good charger (dont scrimp on that, folks who do always come back with battery problems), an extra magazine or two, ammo and protective equipment.

I'd also look at the ICS and CA products.

Read the Information section while you're researching.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:41   #4
Nabisco_Lobstrosity

The G36 is a fantastic platform in real life, and it's just as cool in airsoft. So many possiblities! You have no idea how lucky you are.

I feel the need to play devil's advocate, though. STAR makes a competitive alternative to Tokyo Marui, when it comes to G36's. IF the opportunity presents itself, and maybe you want something other than the 'C' design, you might want to do a little informed-consumer-research on that.

Now, as a fan of the G36c, I need to defend it against your views on its physical dimensions - it's less than 80cm long with the stock in the regular position. An MP5 is about 70cm long, or about 50cm with the stock collapsed. Remember that a G36 can fold its stock, bringing it (in this case, the 'C', with a shorter foregrip) down to 50cm.

That's nearly the exact same size! That's "big" to you? Maybe compared to an MP7 or a P90, then yes, but still ...

Unless you're really into girly microscopic guns that you can wear inside your sweat pants ["Ha! Double entendre!"], get a G36c already!
Nabisco_Lobstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:54   #5
Ultimus

Heh, seems like I was right with my instincts about the G36C.

So I plan to go down to ASCA brick/mortar when it opens/has the gun in stock, get verified, and pick it up. So here is my shopping list, basically:

TM G36C
1 extra low-cap (for light indoor/CQB use for the time being, will get more lowcaps/hicap for outdoors)
charger
.2g BB's

Anything else I'm missing to get started (not concerned with battery cap for now)?
Old July 12th, 2006, 13:57   #6
skewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimus

So I plan to go down to ASCA brick/mortar when it opens/has the gun in stock, get verified, and pick it up. So here is my shopping list, basically:

TM G36C
1 extra low-cap (for light indoor/CQB use for the time being, will get more lowcaps/hicap for outdoors)
charger
.2g BB's

Anything else I'm missing to get started (not concerned with battery cap for now)?
Add a battery or two to that list(and ballistic goggles or a paintball mask if you don't have either already) and you should be good to start off.
skewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 14:04   #7
Greylocks

Be aware that a really good charger is a good thing to have, and they cost between $100 and $150.
Do not make the mistake of trying to save money on what makes your gun and batteries work. Those things are worth the expense.
If not, it's like buying a really good car but not having money for gas.
Old July 12th, 2006, 14:20   #8
Ultimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimus

TM G36C
charger
.2g BB's

Add a battery or two to that list(and ballistic goggles or a paintball mask if you don't have either already) and you should be good to start off.
If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am), a battery is included - 600mah, which I know sucks overall, but I'm guessing it's enough to get started?

I'm just going to be CQB'ing for just a few rounds for now, and at the 1mah per BB that I've read, that's 12 full mags give or take in good temps, which I can imagine as being enough for me.

And I've already got a paintball mask, facemask, gloves + full BDU.

As they say, it's Quantity, Quality, Safety... in that order.* :razz:

*this is a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
Be aware that a really good charger is a good thing to have, and they cost between $100 and $150.
Do not make the mistake of trying to save money on what makes your gun and batteries work. Those things are worth the expense.
If not, it's like buying a really good car but not having money for gas.
Yup, I'm well aware of this. Going for a $150 one. Thank you for the concern.
Old July 12th, 2006, 14:22   #9
Ghillie973

Send a message via MSN to Ghillie973 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghillie973
no battery comes with the gun.
Old July 12th, 2006, 14:24   #10
skewed

Yeah, some places might offer a battery with the gun as a starter set, but it comes from the factory with no battery.
skewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 14:24   #11
Ultimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillie973
no battery comes with the gun.
Wow. Great that you told me.

Would this be compatible/fittable?

It's a "mini", just like the gun.
Old July 12th, 2006, 14:34   #12
SHaKaL

Send a message via MSN to SHaKaL
You better get a 1100mah and up mini... 600mah dont last long

This is one of the best battery on the market... you cant go wrong with thoses

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTELLECT-Mini-T...QQcmdZViewItem

And ehobbyasia ship fast, like 3-7 days max
SHaKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 15:47   #13
Greylocks

Check the battery format too. Some guns require batteries assembled in sticks, blocks, or other strange shapes to fit in the gun.
Good call on the charger, it will stop any headaches.

Always get two batteries, mostly because it really sucks to run out of power (for any reason) during a game in the middle of nowhere. For the rest, I'd say you're pretty much on the right track since you are going for quality and reliability.

You are going to enjoy this game.

(Agreed, the higher the MAH rating you can get, the better).
Old July 12th, 2006, 15:59   #14
attack-beaver

well i must admit your going with a good gun for your first rifle. but i donno it this was said or not what brand were you going with?

and maybe down the road you should think of getting a G&P V-stock for your G36 it would let you store a large style battery in the folding slether stock. but thats an idea if you would like to got a larger battery.

heres a review on the stock i you like the idea http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=22633
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 16:22   #15
longshot

Please don't let the excitments of getting a new airsoft gun that might draw you away from spending some money for a good protective face mast. Safety comes first...I learn that the hard way as a newbie a few years back. I had to rent one for $5 at the field on my first game...really hated.
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion