Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

!!!WTF My Kraken Died I NEED HELP

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 13th, 2009, 22:02   #1
Rinaldi_M4

!!!WTF My Kraken Died I NEED HELP

ok so i had my kraken for about 6-8 months now with no problems,2 weeks ago i put in a 9.6v 2500 mah battery in it and when i tested it everything was ok. so today i decide to shoot it, so i loaded up n everything, set up a target n shot. it was going good for about 5 min when all of a sudden it just stop shooting, and every time i pull the trigger it just makes a drilling sound.I have nooooo clue what went wrong with it, all i can think of is that theres somethin messed up in the gearbox and that something is grinding inside of it.Can someone please help me i never opened up a gearbox before n id rather look for some professional help with this than look at it myself with the possibility of breaking it even more or at least take it apart with some knowledge, can someone please help me out? and if i need any new parts can u show where i can get them, or is the gun even worth fixing??

thanks
Rinaldi_M4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 22:09   #2
kalnaren

I vote broken piston. Do BB's still load? If not, I vote broken piston + broken tappet plate. Otherwise you're looking at stripped gears which would be... shitty. Only way to tell is to open that sucker up.

Check out www.mechbox.com and look at their AK takedown video. Opening a V3 mechbox isn't difficult. Just pay attention to what you're doing.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 22:13   #3
Amos

Either your piston stripped, or your gears stripped.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 22:20   #4
lemegacool

since it's alredy broken i'd suggest you try to opent it up and see whats wrong with it or take pics so we can tell you whats wrong! or take it to a gun doc! like kalnaren said opening a v3 is easy dissasembling the ak is also easy! just go look at the vids on mechbox.com and you'll be alright!

oh and if it still spins i also vote for stripped piston!

member of fire team NOM. my other regular forum: www.toyotanation.com / gen3,gen4 camry
lemegacool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 22:39   #5
Rinaldi_M4

yes the bbs still do load, i guess ill just have to open it up! ill post a vid tommorow with the gun attempting to shoot aswell as pictures of the mechbox all opened up.

Thnx for all the help i appreciate it, just one thing...i kno its possible to fix it, but should i? AND what can i possible do so this doesnt happen again?

thanks alot!! postin vids tomoro

Last edited by Rinaldi_M4; April 13th, 2009 at 22:53.. Reason: forgot to respond to all answers
Old April 13th, 2009, 22:47   #6
Crunchmeister

As already said, I would say it's more than likely the piston that's stripped. Moving up to such a powerful battery probably brought your rof up significantly, which was more than the stock piston could handle. The piston is often the part that fails in high speed applications.

However, as was also suggested, it's possible that you might have stripped gears. I'd say this is probably less likely, but a possible as cheaper gears don't like higher speeds either.

Either way, the only way to know for sure and to repair the problem is to open it up. Either you can find a gun doc to bring it to, or you have to open it up yourself and do your first AEG surgery.
Old April 13th, 2009, 22:51   #7
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinaldi_M4 View Post
thanks alot ill be posting a video on it and pictures of the open gearbox shorty thanks for the help!! btw what can i do to fix it?
First off, if it's a stripped piston or gears it will be pretty obvious. A video probably won't be necessary.

Second, if it's a stripped piston or gears, you'll need to replace them. A new piston is cheap. New gears are expensive.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old April 13th, 2009, 23:16   #8
Rinaldi_M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
First off, if it's a stripped piston or gears it will be pretty obvious. A video probably won't be necessary.

Second, if it's a stripped piston or gears, you'll need to replace them. A new piston is cheap. New gears are expensive.
ok so i guess i kno what i have to do, but since im prob gettin a new piston and gears(maybe) which should i get?and since im doin stuff in the gearbox... what other upgrades should i throw in it (ex:springs,air ozzles,bearings/bushings,motor etc)

lol sorry if im askin alot questions, just that i wanna learn + first AEG so i wanna make it last:P
Old April 13th, 2009, 23:22   #9
kalnaren

Quote:
ok so i guess i kno what i have to do, but since im prob gettin a new piston and gears(maybe) which should i get?and since im doin stuff in the gearbox... what other upgrades should i throw in it (ex:springs,air ozzles,bearings/bushings,motor etc)

lol sorry if im askin alot questions, just that i wanna learn + first AEG so i wanna make it last:P
Well, don't worry about the piston or gears until you know what's wrong with it. Modify makes good pistons.. never had to do a gear replacement so I can't answer that one.

If you're opening the mechbox it could probably use a regrease and re-shim, and if it doesn't have metal bushings, replace them as well.

Quote:
Old April 15th, 2009, 21:53   #10
Rinaldi_M4

ok sorry guys i was really busy yesterday and couldny upload the pics, but yes i opened up the gearbox and WOW its really greased up well i found nothing wrong with the piston but after taking a closer look at the gears i found one gear with a broken tooth! could this be the main problem or can it possible something thats also causing the problem???

here are the pics(betters one will come)

there ya go, yes i kno the pics are pretty bad ill try n get better ones soon
Old April 15th, 2009, 22:05   #11
NoGear
likes being humiliated

sounds like your gears are kraken. Sorry i always wanted to use that pun!

since ur opening it up wipe all that bad grease and re grease the parts needed ie; mechbox video
NoGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 22:16   #12
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
If your gear has a broken tooth, no, it will not work properly.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:28   #13
Rinaldi_M4

Quote:
sounds like your gears are kraken. Sorry i always wanted to use that pun!
lol

Quote:
well can something else be causing the problem with the broken gear??
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:52   #14
kalnaren

Quote:
well can something else be causing the problem with the broken gear??
Poor quality gears and a horrible shim job maybe.. Which gear was it?

Quote:
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:20   #15
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Not necessarily, I had A stock gear chip a tooth off in my JG 416 and it still ran 100%. Never even new there was damage till I opened her up for a new spring (through a modify kit in to replace the gears just in case though)

I suggest using the money you should have been saving up to get a better gun when your kraken failed.

ALSO, if one gear tooth broke, it could have got wedged between other gears stopping you aeg from working. Clean her out. re grease her and put it all back together.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner