Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Shooting From Cover.

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old March 24th, 2010, 23:19   #1
Able1
Joeyaglr444

Shooting From Cover.

Ive been playing Paintball recently and I rely on snapshooting, Recently when i got back in to airsoft, I completely forgot how to shoot from your cover, is there a technique on shooting from cover and how to pop out and back in? I found out my Gun was to big for shooting ot of cover easily.

Any tips, body positions would be great.
It's not about the guy who doesn't call his hit. It's about the pants you're wearing and the pants you're team mate is wearing, Is it real multi cam or is it Chinese repro multi cam? I don't know but in the end it's still multicam.
Able1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 23:26   #2
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

There really isn't a trick to it, but one thing I can think of is distance from cover. Don't get so close to your cover that you're having a "personal moment" with it; maintaining a good standoff distance of a few feet if possible allows you to maneuver yourself and your weapon, as well it reduces the chance of catching a ricochet.

Also yes, many airsoft rifles are long and ill suited to urban ops or fighting in built up areas. If you are finding yourself playing at locations with such terrain you may want to consider a shorter weapon more suited to them.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 23:30   #3
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able1 View Post
Ive been playing Paintball recently
Leave now
..........................Just kidding.

I agree with Kokanee. Don't get sucked in to your cover and try to offset yourself when you can. I found it hard at first but youll get better with practice.

Urban prone is your best friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 15:13   #4
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

If you are behind a low cover that is wide enough to squat behind, I like the adopt a wide squat position that allow me to lower my silhouet behind the cover and still maintain a confortable to maintain position yet still retainning the possibility to move out quick. This "wide squat" position is ideal when you need to see or shoot over cover that is too high for a normal kneeling position.

But remember that if you can shoot from the side of your cover, it's way better than doing it from over it. Since you generally silhouet yourself a lot less.

I also see a lot of people going "hollywood" on their cover, like putting their back to the cover, weapon in the air. Never do that unless you want to look cool for a picture. But you won't be cool for real.

It's prefered to keep facing the threat direction, no mather what cover you are behind.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne

Last edited by FOX_111; June 18th, 2011 at 10:04..
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:19   #5
Skladfin

here's a neat little retreat trick ive taught myself over the years:

if you need to gtfo from that cover, this is the safest way if you have no team mates to give you covering fire:

1: raise your rifle, keep it shouldered at all times
2: stand up if you arent already
3: start walking back with your rifles shouldered while facing the opposition
4: He's not gunna see you because obviously, you're still behind that cover, just however many feet behind it now, out of range
5: profit

as for popping out of cover. Give yourself a comfortable space of movement, just quickly pop out a few inches to get a minimally clear shot, shoot, and pop back in.

If he lowers his head, then you have him in suppression, no need to pop back into your cover. Now do whatever you need to do, flank or retreat.
Skladfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 13:16   #6
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Whenever possible shoot from around cover. Come out of cover from the sides not the top. This has the effect of being able to lead with you gun as opposed to your head. Also don't come out of cover to shoot from the same place over and over this will allow those engaging you to just orient their weapons on you and wait for movement.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif

Last edited by Eeyore; March 28th, 2010 at 13:21..
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:53   #7
Ninja_En_Short

Send a message via MSN to Ninja_En_Short
All I know comes from the Magpul DVDs. Nothing's worth the real deal.

Funny to see how much it works for us too.

Gun doc in Montreal on AEG, GBB, GBBR and Bolt rifle (gaz and spring)
Heavy custom builder (including painting)

Ninja_En_Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 13:09   #8
Harvath

Non-telegraphing movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
Whenever possible shoot from around cover. Come out of cover from the sides not the top. This has the effect of being able to lead with you gun as opposed to your head. Also don't come out of cover to shoot from the same place over and over this will allow those engaging you to just orient their weapons on you and wait for movement.
I would agree with everyone above, don't roll out from cover to face the enemy, takes too long to aguire your target. Don't pop out from the same location over and over again because your just telegraphing your movements. One well timed shot and your done. Move around put a bunch of fire from one side and move to a different location. If your quick and silent, s/he'll be pointing and laying fire where you just were not where you moved too. It'll take a real pro to really catch up to your new location with the end that shoots from where you were to where you are.
Harvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:44   #9
CFA

So what's the standard for if you shoot righty and are shooting around the left side of cover? If that makes sense.
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:51   #10
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
switch hands

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:11   #11
Gerkraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
switch hands
Switch shoulders too!
Gerkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:47   #12
Barbarian

You're all missing the 'press Q or E to lean out from cover' angle!

I've always subscribed to the notion of lying down prone. Your profile is made significantly harder to hit and prone allows you to rest the magazine on the ground (not dig a little hole and half bury it like some kind of odd rifle-stand) and therefore giving a bit more of a stable platform to fire from.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 00:28   #13
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
lol sig saucer

Anyway, what little advice I can give to the original inquiry is that you want to minimize your exposure time while getting off aimed shots.

For example, you're behind waist-high cover. You need to play pop-up shooter to get your shots off. You know what window/doorway/large tree your target is hiding behind.

Adopt a wide stance parallel to the direction you want to shoot. Moving your feet apart will lower your overall height. Then crouch down a little, bending at the waist and knees. Take aim in the rough direction that will match your bearing to the target if you were actually above this waist-high cover. Then rise up smoothly, acquire, shoot, drop.

The point of this is to be as close to a proper firing position as possible while you move in order to acheive better aim with less focus time on the target. If you're already in the firing posture when you acquire your target, then you will be able to put rounds on him that much faster.

This isn't official or anything, this is just what I do and I get pretty decent results with it.

Also, I must suggest not popping up in the same spot in cover more than two or three times if you can help it. I've played games with a guy who would find a piece of cover, hide behind it and go through the 'popup, shoot, cover, two, three, four, popup, shoot, cover, two, three, four..' routine like clockwork. Avoid doing that for obvious reasons.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 18:38   #14
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
When shooting from cover, always move back and lean outwards dont hug your cover like its your baby, you dont need to, just as long u got something between your enemy and you its fine, more room the better as you have space for your gun to fire from, if you stick too close its clumsy and ur chances of being shot is higher, also learn to move from cover to cover shooting from one place lets the enemy know where you are, you need to relocate from time to time.
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 00:19   #15
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtaco27 View Post
I am afraid of when they get Av'd as well

Back to OP, keeping your guns light and having a grip always helps for controlling your gun. To be honest, I can't really pop out of cover because I'm too damn big. I just sorta of lean out, shoot, and try flanking them.
no rule that says the AV'ers are obligated to verify retards

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures