Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

contact you mp's with support for new bill c-637

:

General

Old November 27th, 2014, 17:53   #1
podpharmer

contact you mp's with support for new bill c-637

Mp Robert Sopuck tabled a private members bill to amend low velocity rifle definitions , so if you care about air rifles please show your support for the bill

http://www.robertsopuck.ca/news-ridi...e-definitions/
podpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:11   #2
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

One of the big problems is that Airsoft guns are not altogether like air rifles or bb guns.

I don't want them haphazardly lumped into that pile for a whole host of regulatory AND safety reasons, and I also think that their current 'unregulated but still a firearm' status is absolutely appropriate, given their proximity of resemblance to real firearms.

Edit:
Among other reasons. You're missing out on an entire decade of legal and community history here, and more than an entire decade of grassroots before that.

I need a lot more information before I'll sign anything, and due to a distinct lack of information posted here, I'm already poking holes in this bill.

A word of genuinely amiable advice: don't drag the other thread in here or it'll go nowhere real fast.

Last edited by Cliffradical; November 27th, 2014 at 18:16..
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:15   #3
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

Yeah, if airsoft guns were not considered firearms, they would become illegal. We would not want that.
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:29   #4
podpharmer

I did not make any mention of airsoft or paintball specifically so as not to drag up comments from that "other" thread

I just thought it might be of common interest to some of the members. many members I am sure have children who have bb guns exc who are affected my the new regulations.
podpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:40   #5
Cliffradical

See, there's the info we wanted. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:45   #6
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

There are new regulations for BB gun? Listen, BB guns and devices like them are very legal already. Current legislation allows for responsible ownership and usage, so why is anything being changed?

Also, I hate to say it, but airsoft guns are BB guns. They are a gun that shoots BBs, period. Due to their function, such as shooting at people, and the fact that they usually resemble a real firearm, they are considered to be a unique category, but it is what it is. Airsoft guns are also considered firearms, but only for certain instances. By dictionary definition many are replicas, but for ones that shoot hard enough to hurt people are not for legal definition.

I think Canada's whole gun legislation needs to be redone from the ground up to make more sense in modern times, but for now it works.
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:45   #7
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

This should be moved to Off Topic section
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 18:53   #8
Cliffradical

Second.
Old November 27th, 2014, 19:28   #9
ShadowTwoSix

Uhm yeah, tried to view the document of the proposed bill itself and it's a broken link. :P I just hope they don't go and inadvertently mess up what is currently working for airsoft.

EDIT: Oh wait... here it is: http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/Bill...billId=6792808

Quote:
Originally Posted by podpharmer View Post
Mp Robert Sopuck tabled a private members bill to amend low velocity rifle definitions , so if you care about air rifles please show your support for the bill

http://www.robertsopuck.ca/news-ridi...e-definitions/

Last edited by ShadowTwoSix; November 27th, 2014 at 20:01.. Reason: Added link
ShadowTwoSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 09:18   #10
Cameron SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
There are new regulations for BB gun? Listen, BB guns and devices like them are very legal already. Current legislation allows for responsible ownership and usage, so why is anything being changed?

Also, I hate to say it, but airsoft guns are BB guns. They are a gun that shoots BBs, period. Due to their function, such as shooting at people, and the fact that they usually resemble a real firearm, they are considered to be a unique category, but it is what it is. Airsoft guns are also considered firearms, but only for certain instances. By dictionary definition many are replicas, but for ones that shoot hard enough to hurt people are not for legal definition.

I think Canada's whole gun legislation needs to be redone from the ground up to make more sense in modern times, but for now it works.
Agreed that the whole thing needs a re-write.
As for this bill, they are not changing any of the definitions, and the status of airguns, including airsoft, will not change.

In the background information provided by Mr. Sopuck, he specifically refers to the recent ONCA Dunn ruling already much discussed, and seeks to proactively prevent owners of airguns from becoming subject to charges of careless storage and transportation pursuant to that ruling.

The general attitude in the airsoft community seems to be that airsoft is not subject to the storage regulations for firearms, but is subject to the section 86(1) requirement of the criminal code to not use, carry, handle, ship, transport or store a firearm carelessly.

This bill will exempt airguns from that requirement. I think its a good thing, although some might be inclined to argue its unnecessary.

For those having trouble with the link, here is the substance of the bill in its entirety. It is only one section.

Quote:
1. Section 84 of the Criminal Code is amended by adding the following after subsection (3.1):
(3.2) For the purposes of section 86 and the provisions of the Firearms Act as they relate to the transportation and storage of firearms, a barrelled weapon is deemed not to be a firearm if it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge

(a) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules; or

(b) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules.
Unfortunately, private members bills don't have a strong track record of getting very far in parliament.

If you support the bill, you should let your member of parliament know it. For that matter, if you DON'T support the bill, you should let your MP and Mr. Sopuck know it, and why. robert.sopuck@parl.gc.ca

Last edited by Cameron SS; November 28th, 2014 at 09:25..
Cameron SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 22:28   #11
gear

I wish Harvey Birdman was here. He would know what to do =(
Old November 29th, 2014, 22:50   #12
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear View Post
I wish Harvey Birdman was here. He would know what to do =(
Upvote for Harveby Birdman.

Also, vote for ASC upvote functionality.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 23:38   #13
L473ncy

Upvote for shadowbanning functionality.
Old November 29th, 2014, 23:59   #14
kalnaren

I'd also hoped the days of non-airsofters coming here telling us we're full of shit were over. I guess I've been around long enough to know that wasn't going to happen.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General