Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ACOG + Docter Sight: Quality at a good price

:

Accessories Discussion

Old March 27th, 2014, 11:48   #16
Wilkie

If you have the cash you can get a real Dr in and around $200 if your lucky. Like was said, no switch, turns off when you put the cover on. Not that it maters too much, battery life is insane on those little fellas.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:55   #17
Brit ter

I have an acog with dr from Haung . Nice piece of kit the acog is not illuminated and the dr has a sensor in it that adjusts the brightness and it only shuts off when the cover is put on the dr sight .
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:06   #18
Brit ter

Here is a pic of my acog from Haung !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.56 MB, 29 views)
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:12   #19
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
Okay, as long as the sight turns off when the cover goes on I'm a happy camper.
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:38   #20
MultipleParadox

It's a Schrodinger Sight
You know, when in the cover it can be both on and off state a the same time, until you remove the cover, then it's on! or off if the battery's dead O_O :P

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
MultipleParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 12:43   #21
Wilkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
It's a Schrodinger Sight
You know, when in the cover it can be both on and off state a the same time, until you remove the cover, then it's on! or off if the battery's dead O_O :P
Lol that's pretty funny

That said you can also put your finger or some electrical tape over the sensor to fool it
Old March 27th, 2014, 13:05   #22
Emre1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
Lol that's pretty funny

That said you can also put your finger or some electrical tape over the sensor to fool it
I don't know some of them stay on either way...
Emre1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 16:01   #23
Kungpow

Has anyone tried the pso-1 or psop scopes? Could be a great choice in a price point perspective.
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 16:12   #24
Zack The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpow View Post
Has anyone tried the pso-1 or psop scopes? Could be a great choice in a price point perspective.
I think you missed the point of the thread my friend..
Old March 27th, 2014, 16:42   #25
Drake
E-01

I've been using an ACOG + Docter for quite some time: the ACOG is an old TA01-NSN style one (original version that came out) from Huang, I added my own mount for the Docter (EBairsoft) and clone Docter Sight. I also have a RS ARD on it and clone LaRue RCO QD mount.

The biggest problem (to me) is chiefly the Docter Sight: the self-adjusting dot thing is shit. Dunno if its mine (its an older model, too -- maybe the newer ones are better?) but it just doesn't work that well. Outdoors in an open field, sure: it's bright, it lights up full tilt. Laying in cover in the shade, it dims; but I'm looking out towards lit areas. Where's my fucking dot?

Indoors (cuz this is most likely where you'll switch to the red dot)? Its dimly lit, you get a dim dot: you move into a darkened room, the stupid thing thinks the cover is on and pretty much shuts off. Fuck you, stupid dot, fuck you. ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

And that's the other thing, even with the cover on it NEVER really shuts off completely. So it drains the battery non-stop, even if only a bit. But if you're storing it for a while, you need to remove the battery. Which is a PITA.

The ACOG itself. Well its an ACOG. Eye relief is super short but I can live with that. Exit pupil is very small, that's more of a problem, specially if you're looking at something in shade, low light conditions, etc. Add the ARD (mine has taken a couple of BBs btw, stopped em nicely) and things dim even more right off the bat.

I've had a very difficult time making out camo patterns with it. Maybe the optic quality could be better; maybe some models have better optics (?). Mine is okay at the center, but blurry around the perimeter. Given the extremely small sight image that doesn't give you a lot of workable real estate.

Unless you're dead set on an ACOG, my suggestion would be a good quality SpecterDR maybe. Can be a fixed 4x as long as its illuminated. You can mount a Docter Sight on it (or some come with ~) and you can fall back on using the lit 4x as an OEG (which is what I've read happens with real world users).
Old March 27th, 2014, 21:43   #26
Zack The Ripper

Thanks Drake. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Old March 27th, 2014, 23:47   #27
Wilkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre1337 View Post
I don't know some of them stay on either way...
Real steal ones too? Mine nore my buddies have the problem.
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:33   #28
Zack The Ripper

I have seen some videos of people testing them by putting their fingers in front of the sensor and it does indeed turn off the dot, however, that said: even though the dot is off the sensor is always active which means constant power drain. Simply means taking the battery out for storage.

I'm kinda torn. I really prefer the look of the ACOG/Docter combo, but with all these QC issues I may have to go the SpectreDR/Docter route.

Sad panda. I'll keep digging and try to get my hands on any models before considering purchase of anything.
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:39   #29
Colin_S

Send a message via MSN to Colin_S Send a message via Skype™ to Colin_S
I'll chime in that I've played with airsoft docter sights and I didn't like them at all either. An alternative I went with is to get a NcStar Docter sight, yes it's a repro too but at least it's designed for RS. It's important to note that Docter sights (including the NcStar and the real one) stay on 100% of the time (there should be a dot present even if you cover teh sensor) even with the cover on but the RS stuff is a lot more efficient.

Wanted to also post a warning about repro Elcan SpecterDRs, the 1x setting on two units I've looked through is not actually 1x and it's more like 1.1-1.25x so it takes a bit of getting use to when you look through the unit. On 4x the optic is pretty clear and the eye relief is much better than ACOGs.

Zack I can show you what a repro SpecterDR looks like at Delta's game next weekend if you want and you can compare it to my real Elcan too.

Team GHOSTS - Fides et Amicitia
Blog: http://www.colinsun.com
G-45
Colin_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:47   #30
Zack The Ripper

Appreciate it Colin. I was actually going to message you regarding it cuz I noticed you have one on your PTW.
Ahhh, the fallacies of airsoft replicas..

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion