Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Aimpoint replicas?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old July 4th, 2007, 13:11   #16
CuppoJava

mmm...are you quite sure that you understand the concept behind "parallax free" ?

All red-dot sights have parallax. Unless their focal points are calibrated at infinity. Which is quite useless since bb's don't even reach 100m, much less infinity. This is why sights are calibrated to a specific distance.
Only at THAT distance, are they parallax free.

As far as airsoft goes... any of the red-dot sights are more than sufficient to suit the accuracy of your gun.

here's some reading:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

hope that helped
-Cuppo
CuppoJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 13:13   #17
Oberst39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppoJava View Post
mmm...are you quite sure that you understand the concept behind "parallax free" ?

All red-dot sights have parallax. Unless their focal points are calibrated at infinity. Which is quite useless since bb's don't even reach 100m, much less infinity. This is why sights are calibrated to a specific distance.
Only at THAT distance, are they parallax free.

As far as airsoft goes... any of the red-dot sights are more than sufficient to suit the accuracy of your gun.

here's some reading:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/dotsight.htm

hope that helped
-Cuppo

Response.....

The key word here is parallax free. So what is parallax? Parallax is an optical condition in which the optical plane of the image and the optical plane of the crosshairs are not the same. The effect is that any little head movement on your part while looking through the scope will cause the apparent location of the target to move. In other words, when your head is in one location the target will appear to be in one place in relationship with the crosshairs, and if you move your head slightly, it will move to another location. On some poorly designed or constructed scopes the movement can easily be 18 inches

Oberst39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 13:22   #18
krap101

for my sight (will be former) the dot can't stay in 1 spot. i move my head any direction and the dot moves too, which means it is not parallax free
krap101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 13:43   #19
CuppoJava

in response to Oberst39,
yes i know what parallax-free implies. I'm saying it's not possible.
Even a real aimpoint has parallax.

I know you're saying that there are better-constructed scopes which have less parallax and worse-constructed scopes that have more. But this is not a simple yes-or-no answer, which i think the OP is looking for.

krap:
just a small clarification for me:
when you move your head, and the dot "moves".

Do you mean that the dot moves relative to the scope? (meaning, the dot used to be in the center, and then it moves to the side...)

Or do you mean that the dot moves relative to the target? (meaning, the dot used to be pointed at the center of a pop can, and now you move your head and it points to the left of the pop can.)
Old July 4th, 2007, 13:46   #20
krap101

When i move my head the dot moves, thats parallax right?
Old July 4th, 2007, 14:07   #21
krap101

from what i've read, there are two kinds or parallax, shot parallax and dot parallax?
Old July 4th, 2007, 14:38   #22
Slowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberst39 View Post
Check this one out..I purchased it and it works great....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?..._promot_widget
Sorry I am jumping off topic for a sec.

Is that scope adjustable? I see some that say X/Y adjustable and this one does not.

Cheers
Slowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 14:42   #23
Oberst39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowne View Post
Sorry I am jumping off topic for a sec.

Is that scope adjustable? I see some that say X/Y adjustable and this one does not.

Cheers
Yes it is fully adjustable by unscrewing the cap on top and right and then adjusting using a fine screwdriver or coin....

Oberst39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 15:26   #24
dontask

Send a message via MSN to dontask
if the dot stays on the target no matter where your head moves (aimpoint stationary) then its paralax free
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 15:31   #25
CuppoJava

uh...yes there are two kinds of parallax. The names for them aren't standard so I have no idea which one is which.

One form of parallax is: (This one is has nothing to do with your scope)
The line of sight of your scope IS NOT the bullet path. It's close...but not the same. This depends on your how far your scope is mounted from your gun.
Take this example:
You have a gun and strap a red-dot onto the rail. ...What you see through the scope is pretty close to how the bullet will shoot.

Now imagine you have some strange gun where the scope is three meters above your muzzle. No matter how good your scope is...it's useless at that position.

The second form of parallax is applicable only to red-dot sights.

From what you say I'm going to assume this is what you see:
You look at the sight straight on and see that the little red dot is in the center of the scope. Now you slowly move your head to the right, and notice that the dot doesn't stay in the center of the scope, it moves to the right with you.
That is not parallax.

Just know that the sight is more than good enough for you...
Old July 4th, 2007, 15:43   #26
krap101

whoa do i feel stupid... i guess the parallax would be when the dot doesnt move thanks a ton. now i have to go apologize to the seller for some odd reason i assumed that parallax free was when the dot was always in the center :*( thanks for the help
Old July 4th, 2007, 16:36   #27
CuppoJava

heh. no prob.
you're very considerate for apologizing to the seller.
Old July 4th, 2007, 16:49   #28
krap101

well i kinda bashed him and threatened him with ebay and paypal 8-) still feel like an idiot
Old July 5th, 2007, 16:19   #29
RacingManiac

Just a quick question, with aimpoint am I supposed to be able to place the dot on target, regardless where my head position being each time, I can hit where the dot points? At least with my aimpoint at my calibrated distance(across 2 livingroom sized area), it seems to be able to do that...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 17:46   #30
CuppoJava

yes that's what a red-dot sight is supposed to do.

from my experience with a few king-arms replicas. Even the cheapest replica has enough accuracy to keep up with the accuracy of an airsoft rifle.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion