Thread: USMC ILBE Packs
View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2010, 22:51   #4
Conker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakercompany View Post
I love my ILBE assault pack, but I've always ended up passing on the main pack. I don't have any experience with it, but if all you want it for is camping, there are MUCH lighter options out there.
You're right that it's pretty heavy, and at first I was unsure... During my first hike, I found it almost too much... But after having adjusted it correctly, and seeing two of my friend's backpacks fails (we were 10 for a 5-days hike... one broke the 2nd, the other the 4th day), I did enjoy its hardcore construction.

Also, being "mission adaptable" like this with the MOLLE webbing all over it is really appreciated. Adding radio, knife, medic, map, GPS pouches, etc... is much more easier, and a SAW pouch happens to perfectly fit my Canon S5 IS with the attachementadapter, sun hood and filters at hand.... And other large backpacks of this size with MOLLE are even more expensive (got the Gen2 with Gen1 straps and Gen1 hood for 150$ shipped in very good shape, with 15$ on top of that for an ILBE repair pack (SupplyCaptain) to replace the Gen1 buckles.

Quote:
That said, I collect all things MARPAT. Can't get enough. It's a real problem.

In my experience, eBay is by far your best option for all of it. The Source USMC WXP 3L Tactical hydro system can be had on a few sites, but for an enormous premium. For example, www.optactical.com has the 3L Tactical in coyote for $54, but if you want the USMC 3L Tactical, it'll set you back $97. You might also see if Source has an online store, but again just keep checking eBay; I eventually scored a used one for $20, plus the cost of a new bite valve at MEC.
I'll keep watching eBay I guess! I prefer issue as much as I can, but if it's compatible (locks on the main pack) like the issue one, it'll do the job.

Quote:
There are two "sustainment" pouches, but they're not for the standard ILBE pack system. They're for the Recon ILBE, and I'm not sure what they're called exactly. The PMICE pdf on the Recon ILBE refers to them simply as "supplemental pouches." I think you can get them commercially, but not in MARPAT. Here's a few for sale; you can see the Recon main and assault packs too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-x-USMC-REC...13649827635870

Since these are preposterously expensive, you might consider some of the AITES 200rd SAW pouches that are currently flooding eBay, or a MOLLE sustainment pouch in coyote. They're not too hard to find.
I wasn't even aware of the existence of the recon pack! LOL.
As I previously said, I prefer the original pouches in MARPAT, but having them in Coyote Brown would do the job... Especially if I happen to save 80 bucks :P

Quote:
As to the radio pouch, I got mine thrown in with a Gen 1 MOLLE assault pack and a pile of pouches I bought for a friend on eBay. Keep checking and you'll find one for cheap. Likewise with the ILBE waist belt. Can't help you on the pack cover; www.us-elitegear.com used to carry a lot of this stuff, but they're scaling back their inventory big time.

Hope that helps...enjoy the assault pack!
The radio pouch is probably the only one I'd need the original. Actually, I don't know if anything was coming with the one I bought, lol... I'll see when I get the package monday (should have arrived today... but got delayed -oh so surprisingly- by Canada Post). But... Gen2 in very good shape for 54$? How could I pass that! :P

I saw Eberlestock has a Coyote Brown backpack cover for ~18 USD (large version), I think I'll go with it.

Thanks for the input! I'll post an update when I get the stuff monday.

Conker
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote