View Single Post
Old March 1st, 2016, 00:59   #1
Flaming Salami

Flashlights (Brighter the better?)

Here's my 2 cents on flashlights. Can they blind and disorient people? Yes. Do they give your position away? Absolutely. For all the people saying the noise of the gun gives away your position also, well that's just not always true. Airsoft guns are not very loud and don't give off any muzzle flash. It can be hard to directly pinpoint where shots are coming from as soon as you hear someone open up. When some guy has a 1500 lumen flashlight and is shining it at your friend from far away, it totally gives away the position. I use a 120 lumen flashlight and it is bright enough for me. It allows me to light up areas if and when I every do decide to use it, which I usually don't.

I see that a lot of airsoft players I have encountered have this notion that the brighter the flashlight, the better it will work. From my personal experience, white light is ridiculous to use at night. I've never understood why a lot of players spend thousands on NVGs and then wind up using their white light at the same time. It makes no sense to me. White light seriously fucks up both your natural and NVG night vision. It is much more sensible to use red light if you need to see where you're going (because it doesn't wreck your natural night vision) and shoot from the darkness without exposing yourself.

If I'm in a wooded area at night and start taking pot shots at people I see, I can guarantee it will be more difficult for them to find me then if I shine a 1500 lumen flashlight on them and open up. I totally understand that you can blind and surprise a few guys in your crosshairs, but at the same time you have alerted all other enemy players of your location, when you could have shot from the darkness and had a better chance at remaining hidden.

NVGs and natural night vision make sense to me. Same with white light at indoor, CQB games. But I cannot wrap my head around why everyone uses such bright white lights at night. Anyways, that's just my opinion on the matter. I'm pretty sure Travis Haley did a video on why brighter isn't better, but I could be mistaken. Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78tH6aVpuM

Last edited by Flaming Salami; March 1st, 2016 at 01:08.. Reason: Found the Haley Strategic video I mentioned!
Flaming Salami is offline   Reply With Quote